Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Tinny engine noise upon heavy acceleration

My 1996 BMW Z3 has a distinct "tinny" sound that comes from the exhaust when you hit the accelerator and really want to move. I found out that this is a normal situation and it is caused by the exhaust itself and perhaps either some of the internal components vibrate together OR the mounting of the exhaust causes it. IN any case it is completely normal and I think it is part of the character of the car. Many people have these cars and I'm sure they've noticed that small tinny sound coming from the rear as they step on the gas. BUT What about those who pay the $100,00 price tag for the new 2012 BMW M5, it comes with a Stereo enhanced sound of the rumble of the engine through the speakers. If that isn't a kick in the pants I don't know what is. If the Engine truly doesn't make enough sound to be heard inside do I really want my stereo making up for it? Anyway here is what BMW has to say about it.
--------------------------------BMW comments about the 2012 BMW M5-------------------------------
"M5 drivers will be given an even more direct reminder of their car’s performance capability by technology that brings the distinctive sound of the high-performance V8 – in all its glory – into the cabin of the new BMW M5. The Active Sound Design technology specially developed for the new BMW M5 takes its cues from the driving situation at any one time to deliver an accurate reproduction of the engine’s sound through the car’s audio system. The system’s digital signal processing exchanges data directly with the engine management, allowing it to reflect the engine’s revs and torque, and the car’s speed over the road. The result over a smoothly driven journey is a discreet soundtrack in keeping with the harmonious and assured characteristics of the V8 powerplant. A stamp on the accelerator, meanwhile, prompts an immediate audible response to match the instantaneous – and typically M – burst of power from beneath the bonnet."
When that car is 17 years old like mine will the stereo be able to keep up with it? I'll keep my original engine noise and I'll put my top down if I want it louder.

No comments:

Post a Comment